January. Chapter one of the year. We’re feeling doughy after the holiday treats but craving warm comfort food to combat the cold weather. It is this constant tug-of-war between “New Year, New Me” and “It’s good for the soul!” Here are two recipes for clean or comfort to kick off your 2023!
30-Minute One-Pot Cheater’s Bouillabaisse
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 leeks, halved and thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups seafood stock
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 bay leaf
2 pounds cod, chopped
2 pounds shrimp, cleaned and peeled
2 pounds mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Crusty bread, for serving
1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and fennel and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add the seafood stock, tomatoes, orange zest and juice, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced slightly, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the cod and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and mussels and cover the pot. Simmer until the seafood is fully cooked (the fish will be firm, the shrimp will be pink, and the mussels will be open), about 4 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels.
4. Stir in the parsley. Top with the reserved fennel fronds and serve with the bread.
Sourced by: https://www.purewow.com/recipes/30-minute-one-pot-cheaters-bouillabaisse
Instant Pot Risotto à La Carbonara
3½ cups (840ml) chicken stock
8 ounces (225g) diced pancetta
½ small onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups (300g) uncooked Arborio rice (see note)
½ cup (120ml) white wine
½ cup (50g) shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
2 tablespoons (28g) salted butter
4 large egg yolks
Minced fresh parsley, for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.
2. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add the diced pancetta. Cook the pancetta, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and it begins to crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a paper towel–lined plate.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the rendered fat and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice to the pot and stir until well combined, toasting the rice for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the wine to the pot to deglaze it, scraping up any brown bits in the bottom of the pot. Add the heated chicken stock and stir until well combined. Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. Once done, quick release the pressure.
5. Remove the cover and stir in the Parmesan, butter and pancetta until smooth and creamy. Quickly stir in the egg yolks, one at time, and season with salt to taste. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and garnished with minced fresh parsley.
Sourced by: https://www.purewow.com/recipes/instant-pot-risotto-carbonara