We are proud to present this month’s featured artist; Tarmo Watia. His work is currently displayed in our beautiful historic building on state street in Boise. You can stop by during business hours to enjoy it for yourself!
“Tarmo’s work is bold and bright and each piece tells a story. I first fell in love with his work with a visit to his home and studio in 2003. When I walked into the new building on State Street I immediately envisioned an art show on those gorgeous white walls–and Tarmo was the first artist that came to mind.”
– Andrea Pettitt
The Boise Group supports local artists in many ways and also supports local arts organizations. The show will be up for a month and we encourage everyone to drop by to see the work!
Excerpt from the Artist
As I continue to create I find myself drawing personal images on the painting surface as well as re-evaluating hundreds of older images in order to discover which ideas have become valuable enough to use once again. Ironically, it’s my upper Michigan childhood experiences that have led me to rediscover many of those images. Just one example is my study of fish which over many years still finds a way to surface on the canvass and has further expanded by fishing in Alaska and having a chance to witness the cycle of fish found there.
My Finnish heritage with its bright use of colors coupled with Alden Steck’s teaching while growing up have always directed me towards using vivid hues. I have made time over the years to further my art education by visiting major art museum both at home and abroad. Simply put what I have to say in words would best be understood by your evaluating of my life’s creative work.
Bachelor of Science in Design, U of Michigan 1960
Master of Fine Arts, University of Michigan, 1962
Award, Honors and Exhibitions:
- Permanent Collection Dennos Museum Center, Traverse City Michigan
- Permanent Collection Boise Art Museum
- Permanent Collection Finnish-American Heritage Museum, Hancock Michigan
- Who’s Who in American Art
- Notable American’s
- Who’s Who in the West
- Edition of American Artists of Renown
- Personalities of the West and Midwest
- International Biographical Center – Cambridge, England
- American Artist’s, “Illustrated Survey of American Contemporaries”
- International Artists Biographies, Flash Art Publications – Milan, Italy
- Southwest Art Review
- Men of Achievement – Cambridge, England
- Who’s Who in America
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Dictionary of International Biography
- The Twentieth Century Award for Achievement
- Idaho Commission on the Arts, Grant
- Detroit Institute of Art – Detroit, Michigan
- National Print – Silver City, New Mexico
- Finnfest ’95 art exhibit – Portland, Oregon
- National Print – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Watercolor USE Springfield Art Museum
- Idaho Annual, Boise Museum of Art – Boise, Idaho
- American Relief Prints – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Sange De Cristo Arts Center – Pueblo, Colorado
- Gail Severn Gallery – Ketchum, Idaho
- Contemporary Finnish – American Series, touring Finland 2033-2004
The above information and more can be found at http://watiagallery.com
A special thank you to Andrea Pettitt and the Boise Group for organizing such a beautiful exhibition for our Boise location.